[Whirl] hello, and questions about riding recumbents in this area

larry black bikelarry at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 09:07:23 CST 2017

Sorry Whirlers, my note flew away before editing and completing
Here's the full note:

Thanks for the inquiry, interest, and mentions from our past and present
parishioners.
Though trikes have outsold two wheel 'bents sixfold going on a decade, they
are not the solution for everyone in every situation.

Despite coaching and disclaimer, a number of trikers tune out their
anticipated real world riding when they turn our parking lot into a skidpad
and our no traffic rural roads into a rally course.

Some return days, weeks, or months later noting their real world
experiences - they have encountered people enjoying two wheelers that
provide the same benefits of comfort and freedom from pain.

They have also noticed their limited  field of vision among motor vehicles
with their head inconveniently below the average vehicle fender - these
days a pick up, SUV, or minivan.

Even flagged and lighted, the low head position leaves a narrowed 'wedge'of
vision instead of a safe  hemisphere afforded when your viewpoint is above
a fender.

Some get this wrong as the 'anti-trike' but lo, that's not our point.
There are many who simply cannot afford to risk a fall, who cannot balance
a two wheeler, and people like us that just enjoy triking.

We have some great places here and in Florida to enjoy ours, but riding
them  out here in the sticks on the hilly, windy, shoulder-compromised
roadways is a no go.
We're fortunate to be able to enjoy our Easyracers for places we are not
comfortable triking.

We like group riding very much, and when triking it's awkward when there
are so many on uprights. The dynamic does not lend itself to as easy a mix,
and too many of our (deprived) upright friends find it awkward having us
along.

When a customer arrives and asks about trikes we usually put out a bike as
well if it appears they are able to operate one. We provide lessons on both.

Invariably, after a spin 'round the 3 acre parking lot (which often becomes
a skidpad), the trike is hands-down the winner in the thrill category.
The trike is the go-kart or sports car they always loved , It's as
thrilling as a roller coaster in turns since it generates side thrusts with
a slight turn of a wrist.

Of course like anything that has such an exciting initial thrill, the body
gets accustomed to much of that aspect and after a real world experience,
thrills can diminish though the comfort remains.

Sensibly, we encourage and allow trikes to go on extended test rides - to
the home neighborhood, to the favorite trail, even on weekend group rides.

For many like us, the solution is the bike and the trike.Change is good.n
We ride our trikes in the trike-friendly areas and on trike-centric rides
with other trikers.

The bikes, which fit easily and quickly on our compact car, go other places.

Hopefully this is not a political rant but a real world take on what we
have done thousands of times for 30 years with our trikes and 40 with our
'bents.

Happy New Year!

Larry and Linda

--