[Whirl] So I've rejoined the list to see who is still around!

Mark Matarella Mark at Matarella.com
Fri Apr 10 16:09:56 CDT 2020

Hi all,

  I rode with WHIRL in the pretty early days. Vic Sussman, Alan Pollock, Mark Colliton.  I rode with Jim Kellet and his daughter, Kathy Bilton of course. Bill Cook… More names will pop into my head right after I hit send I’m sure. The WHIRL route was a great ride. Occasionally Vic and Mark would lead a detour off the usual route up ‘cardiac hill’ J   I organized the WHIRL Big Ride back in 1998-2000, with permission and blessing of Vic and Alan which I sought because the whole principle of WHIRL was no organization. They happily made an exception for my effort and that event.  And of course I created and ran Recumbents.com for several years, eventually passing that to Warren Beauchamp and WISIL.

  I still have my first bent a Linear LWB but it took some damage when it fell off a bike storage pole years ago. I will decide whether to order replacement parts or part out once I assess the ‘new to me’ bikes coming soon.

  I still have the Rans Stratus I bought from Mark Colliton, which he converted to a 24 inch wheel and fork to great effect.

  I still have a Lightning version M5 CroMo Low racer with mono blade suspended fork, but we discovered years ago the fork was cracked. Lighting showed no interest in assisting. But I discovered John Schlitter ex of Rans is now dba Schlitter bikes just south of me in St Pete and deals in M5. So once social distancing is no longer necessary I’ll reach out to him to see if we can get a fork and get that on the road too.

  I mentioned Larry Black aka Mt Airy Bicycles found and refurbed MY old Rotator Pursuit. That will be on the way to me shortly. Thanks Larry!
  Also a Kingcycle I test rode at Mt Airy 20+ years ago and really liked turned out to still be in the Mt Airy warehouse, that shipped to me today. Thanks Larry!
  And last but not least, a Ryan Vanguard from Mt Airy is about to be shipped as well. I’ve ridden them in the past and loved it. Once I’ve got the Ryan as a fantastic example of LWB USS I will decide if I want to fix the Linear too or part that out.

  So right now I’m cleaning and reorganizing the garage!

Mark Matarella

2917 Glenpark Rd

Palm Harbor FL 34683

H:727-789-2317