[Whirl] So I've rejoined the list to see who is still around!

Lennert Thunberg lennertthunberg at gmail.com
Sun Apr 12 15:11:01 CDT 2020

Mark,

With regard to when you bought your Pursuit I can guarantee you had it before the fall of 1998 because that’s when I saw it at the Washington Sailing Marina and was inspired to purchase my first of several bents.

As to turning radius my experience was that it was quite large, partly in view  of the long wheelbase, but also because of the low center of gravity and the long tiller effect, both of which made low speed handling more difficult than on most bents.  Despite the low-speed handling problems the Pursuit is still my favorite bent of all the ones I have owned.  The combination of comfort and speed(with a fairing), without having to resort to a very laid-back seating position, is superior to that of any other bent I have ridden.  I have no  doubt that the Pursuit, with the factory fairing and tailbox, is faster on the level and downhill, but not climbing, than a Gold Rush Replica with the zipped-up closed cloth fairing.  I’m sure I would get a lot of flack on this, but the lower frontal area of the Pursuit is too much for the Gold Rush to compete with.

It’s sad that so many of the companies that promoted the emergence of recumbents in the 1990s and 2000s are no longer with us.  I also find it sad that so much of the recumbent market is dominated by trikes.  I’m a huge fan of trikes, having owned two, but the greater speed, reduced weight, easier transportability and stowage, as well as lesser cost, should make two-wheel bents at least as popular as trikes.

Enjoy riding your cycles as a way of dealing with this pandemic, and thank you Kathy for keeping this forum going.

Len Thunberg